Create your own jazz language | Woody Shaw legacy

Hier geht es um Improvisieren , Stilistik , halt alles was mit Jazz bzw. Moderner Musik zu tun hat

Moderator: Die Moderatoren

Antworten
Teus Nobel
Gerade Registriert
Meine Instrumente ..: trumpet
Create your own jazz language | Woody Shaw legacy

Beitrag von Teus Nobel »

Hi guys and girls!

I've put together a video about the material I researched when doing my jazz masters degree two years ago. I was dedicating my thesis to trumpeter Woody Shaw, trying to look for ways to translate his adventurous harmonic choices into new jazz language. I didn't want to just literally copy him, because that's just repeating history, but use his knowledge to design models that created new patterns which I could use in my improvisations. I hope there's something useful in it for you! And feel free to comment, because there is a certain 'grey area' when working like this and I'm curious what your thoughts are about it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPAy8sefKzg
[/YouTube]
www.teusnobel-music.nl
Albums: Flow (2012), Legacy (2014),
Social Music (2016), Journey Of Man (2019),
Saudade (2019)
Bixel
Unverzichtbar
Meine Instrumente ..: bezahlt

Re: Create your own jazz language | Woody Shaw legacy

Beitrag von Bixel »

Hi Teus, welcome and thanks for your input! Very high intellectual level! Not my favourite approach to develope my or my students' jazz vocabulary, but maybe the best approach if you lack the patience to let your vocabulary grow just naturally by itself. Tom Harrell to me seems to have digested quite a lot of Woody Shaw's stuff. Did you talk to him about his way there? I wonder if he did it rather by analyzing or by just listening and copying - like Clark Terry said: "Imitate, assimilate, then innovate!"
Rausgehen ist wie Fenster Aufmachen, nur viel krasser.
Antworten